Saturday, January 22, 2011

Meeting with Dr. Millis

The next day I immediately called Dr. Millis's secretary to make an appointment. She returned my call and asked me to have ALL of my records sent to Boston, this was one of the crappiest ordeals I had to go through. But eventually I had all of my X-Rays, MRI's and reports in my hand. I gave them to my brother (whom lives in Boston) and had him manually drop them off at the hospital. I was told that Dr. Millis reviews new cases on Wednesday afternoons with his colleague and I would hear by the end of the week if I was a candidate for a PAO......sure enough I got a call from Sharelle, his secretary, and my appointment was made for October 14, 2010 (my initial appointment with the orthopedic surgeon was August 3)...so you can see how busy this man is! I had an appointment in Waltham in the morning for an MRI and X-Rays follows by a consultation in Boston afterwards to meet Dr. Millis.

I had done a lot of reading online about PAO's and read blogs just like mine so I was well informed what was in store for me. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of information out there which is why I feel honored to be writing this, even if if helps one person, I've done what I set out to do. There are so many people out there with this problem that have no idea they have Hip Dysplasia and it can go months without being diagnosed properly!

Dr. Millis spends a LOT of time with his patients so chances are he will be late for your appointment! He sat down with me, my parents and my husband and first asked my mom if she had problems. He wants to know all family history as this is such a new procedure! He was VERY upset that my hips were never followed through my childhood and x-rays were never taken to follow my lack of progress. So after he examined me and showed us a normal hip vs. my hip we knew it had gone too long and he wishes I had come in years earlier as well. He went over the procedure and told me he had an opening in 2 weeks. I said let's do it! Unfortunately it's not as easy as that.

I tried to give my first pint of blood but that didn't work out, they tried to do my pre-op but that didn't work. So we made appointments to come back to Boston to take care of all of this in two weeks. When I got back to work and informed HR, they told me my insurance doesn't let me go out of state without a referral....the start to a very stressful few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment