Sunday, June 30, 2013

June 25 - Day 0 - Update

I'm actually a few days ahead but backtracking to make sure I update day by day. My mom helped me take notes so we didn't forget anything. I did update once I got to my room, but here are the series of events!

We woke up at 5am (I slept OK on a pull out sofa)..and went to the hospital, got there at 6am as required and checked in. I had to pee in a cup so they did the pregnancy test (any female over 12 years of age). I sat in the waiting room for only 2-3 minutes and they called us back to the PACU. Typically only 2 people are allowed but the nurse let everyone come (my parents and husband). I got changed into my fashionable Johnny and laid back on the bed for what seemed like FOREVER! Other patients started arriving and all were being taken care of and I waited, and waited and waited...peed about 3 times and waited! I said as soon as Millis gets here it's going to be fast moving and sure enough - doc arrived with a team and things started happening. He signed my leg, I went over the rules again...talked to anesthesia and debated getting the nerve block or stick with the Epidural that worked like a charm each time. We literally went back and forth...and Dr. Choka (not sure how to spell her name), but she has done my epi for each surgery and she said that because I've had such a great outcome for them, we should stick with it. The block is guaranteed to numb only the right side but it's still kind of new. So I got my IV catheter in which took a while because my veins are so tiny (this is a Children's hospital, no?).  Said our goodbyes and they wheeled me off! Got the OR and transferred to the operating bed and bent over so they could insert the epi. I don't remember laying back down....They wheeled me in about 7:45am...

Woke up in recovery around 2:00pm - with a sore throat and numb tongue!!! I also check to make sure my operated leg is numb - which is was. I told the nurses they woke me up from a good dream. I was given a cherry Popsicle in recovery to help my throat and my tongue. No one was sure why my tongue was numb, but it was kind of weird. My Mom and Kevin came in to see me first and I was just finishing my popsicle. The Kevin and my bro came to see me and took the time for some photo ops! I was in recovery for about an hour...then the nurses said it may be a couple hours before I get to a room so my family should go get dinner. Then a couple minutes later she told Kevin to go get my family because I had a room and I was about to go. I don't remember getting to my room or going in the elevator, I just kind of remember waking up in my room. I was in a double which is OK, but I was on the window/bathroom side which was great.

The nurses left me and there I was. I was in zero pain. My left leg (non op) was completely numb which was terrible and my right leg was partly numb but my hip was numb and that's all I was concerned about. I ended up eating some chicken soup and ice chips. My brother had an interview during my surgery so he came to see me after look all spiffy! Everyone left around dinner time and went over to Bertucci's to get fed and then back to Waltham to stay for the night.

I got woken up quite often to have my vitals checked. I slept well in the meantime and the epidural was doing it's job. Aside from being numb and my tongue being weird I was also having a hard time focusing as my anesthesia was wearing off.

Here are some pictures to represent the day of surgery - day 0!

Just a quick update, while I was in the PACU before surgery in my Johnny..I got up to pee before they started the IV and I got off the bed and Millis said "you can put your panties on, you don't need to take them off" I said...uhh..that's not really going to happen...I didn't wear any "he's like WHAT, you didn't wear any, oh man!". It was pretty hilarious and EVERYONE heard the convo...but every other surgery I had to take them off...I can't win! (see day 2) 


My brother came to see me after his interview - here I'm in recovery.
 Kevin and I in recovery
 In the PACU at 7am before being wheeled off to surgery. Fashionable in my Johnny.
 Just got injected with my IV meds before going to the OR
 My Popsicle in recovery and being a cyclops because I couldn't focus!

Surgery is over, now it's time to recupe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment