Saturday, January 29, 2011

Saturday, January 29, 2011 -- Day 17

Sorry, had to shoot off an update before I went to bed! My goal is to truly make an entry every day, so here goes.

First...I started to read a fellow PAO's blog last night and finished it this morning; however, it went from a PAO blog with 3 post-op surgeries (she had an infection as well as a tissue growth and everything else)...so it went from that to a cancer blog as she was diagnosed with this at 1 year post-op (at the end of 2009) and is currently still fighting! This really bothers me and I think had all day, how terrible! This poor girl went in for a PAO, had many issues and instead of going in for her second PAO she gets this diagnosis followed by chemo and radiation - I really need to suck up MY troubles and get on with this recovery shit..so here I come!

Other than that, today was pretty boring. I woke up and Kevin and I watched the news before getting out of bed then got some breakfast and he had to head off to do some side work. He got back around 3pm and I was bored out of my mind...unfortunately, we didn't do anything which I had hoped we would, being as it's FINALLY a day off together...so that sucked. But it's about 9:30pm and we're gonna go watch some TV or a movie in bed where I will fall asleep and wake up every couple of hours to flip over. I'm glad that I can sleep on my non-op side but it makes for one hectic night's sleep since I have to really concentrate on moving back and forth. ugh.

I forgot to mention in previous posts how DRY my butt is. haha I feel like I need friggin' Desitin (as in the diaper rash creme)!! I think from being in the hospital bed 24/7 and being sweaty and everything else it just got so rash-like! I've been lotioning it and putting on baby oil in the shower (basically I put this all over my body because I get really dry skin)...and alas, it's much better now. hip hip, hooray!

I also wanted to mention the nurses and staff at Children's Hospital because I haven't given them the credit they deserve. Talk about an amazing group of people. The nurses were SO sweet and caring, one better than the last. Working in a hospital primarily with children, you need a different attitude and personality. I absolutely loved my nurses, all of which were females around my age and typically I may not get along with very well, but they were AMAZING! To name a few, Rachelle-fantastic nurse who knew her shit! Anisa-Muslim woman who was my night nurse about 3-4 nights and the nicest woman ever, Danielle-of course I liked her because she has a great name, but she is pregnant and due in April, yay! Megan-my nurse towards the end, and the sweetest one of them all I think! She was born with hip dysplasia and was actually seen by Dr. Millis when she was a baby, go figure. I also had a nurse named Paula, she was nice enough, but just not over the top like the rest, but still very nice. I also want to give props to the CA (certified nurses assistant) Carrie, I had her for about 3 days and was also really great and got shit done! I just really loved the staff and was truly upset when I was discharged because I didn't want to leave! This coming from someone who hates hospitals so much! Anyway, you're in good hands at CHB!

A couple questions I have to Dr. Millis at my post-op appointment:
1) why my right arm is so weak - I think something happened during surgery, maybe they way they had my arm placed or something but it is def really weak
2) the numbness/pain in my lower belly/pooch area
3) how soon is too soon to have my LPAO (I want this done ASAP). Can he leave the screws in my first hip and take them all out together...should I wait longer and have the first screws removed with my second hip...I'm ready for surgery #2 but want to be sure my RPAO will not be in danger.
4) will my legs be the same length after my LPAO? I feel like my new leg is a bit longer than the other. Also, will my hip socket "settle", like a new house?

Anywho, these are the questions I have do far...but I still have until Feb 22, seems like a long time for a post-op. dang.

Goodnight

1 comment:

  1. Hi Danielle!!! Thank you so much for your comment on my blog...and for your kind words here on your blog. I know it can be hard - but it sounds like you are doing great both physically and mentally. As you read in my blog - I feel that when you are an active person prior to surgery the mental aspect is the hardest part of the healing process. But don't worry - it gets so much better!!!!

    I just went to see the surgeon last Monday to see how long I had until I HAD to get my left hip done. Unfortunately...he said I really didn't. As you know I am currently dealing with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma - so I have opted to try and hold out for another year.

    I wish you a very speedy recovery. And look at it this way - at least you are cooped up in the house now in the winter and will be ready to go by the spring!!!!

    ReplyDelete