Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 -- Day 41

POST-OP!!

I never thought this day would EVER arrive. It has taken ages to get to my post-op appointment, but at the same time, tomorrow is 6 weeks post and I kind of can't believe it's been so long already. It was a good day. We headed up to Boston from Rhode Island which is usually 45min-1hour drive...my appointment was at 1pm so we left at 11:30am to make sure we had enough time. WELL let's just say I didn't get to my appointment until 1:30pm! Yes it took us two friggin' hours. I was not a happy camper. Must have been people coming back to Boston area after the 3-day weekend....or something!!

I had to pee SO badly, so Kevin dropped me off at the entrance to the hospital and I went up to the Ortho floor to check in and they sent me straight to x-ray. Dr. Millis was in the x-ray office so I saw him before my appointment (he must have been holding someone's leg for an x-ray....oh I remember those days haha). First thing he said was "are you eating?" wtf? That was a random question...I was like yeah..he's like "so your appetite is ok?" umm...yes. Do I look malnourished? NOPE! So I'm not sure I followed his questions...but he said he'll see me in a few minutes and off he went. I sat and waited to be called in (still having to pee) and they called me in a couple minutes later. One x-ray was done lying on the table which was mega uncomfortable...and the second was standing up, standing in a ballerina stance - left foot straight and right heal perpendicular to the left. I was a bit afraid to do this but it felt fine! So back I go to the Ortho area and FINALLY get to use the bathroom...naturally the Women's is closed! I knock on the "family" one and that is locked. wtf is going on! Another girl came up and we decided to use the Men's room so she stood outside while I went. I came out and Kevin said they called me in already! SHEESH! We usually wait 3 hours to get called in and now everything is nonstop. So I went into the consult room (same one as my first appointment ever...brought back memories. haha). We sat there for about 30 minutes and Dr. Millis came in with another Doctor that was visiting from India. The first thing he said was to walk to the door on one crutch. Now...I'm thinking so I pretend this is the first time I've done this and look a bit unsteady, or walk like I know what I'm doing! haha So I walked as normal and he was very impressed YAY!

They spent a while looking at all of my x-rays, comparing now vs. pre-op as well as now vs the day of surgery to see how well the bone has healed. He said my bone is healing great, but not all the way there just yet, which is fine because I'm not even 6 weeks post yet. So then he moved my leg all around to see my range of motion and what not, then he bent my leg up and told me to hold it which was also no problem. He was very impressed with my range of motion and strength (yay again). It was cool looking at my x-rays from pre vs. post because there was actually covering over my femur...I have a real socket? YIKES. I want to get a copy of my x-rays so I can post some pics.

So I was only with him for a short time and then he took me down to Jaime in PT to give me more exercises and he told me to be back in 4 weeks. WELL, that puts me approximately in St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands........I told him we were going in a cruise March 19. He said "oh, so you want to come in the week before and get rid of the crutches for good, huh?" I said YEP! So he allowed me to come in the week before, which makes it 3 weeks from today, March 15. I worked with Jaime, she had me walk with one crutch and said I was very stable so I can now use one crutch at home and two if I go out or long distances. WOW what an accomplishment. I told her I had been practicing and she said that sometimes I could get a stress fracture or something. But I have been good, not pushing anything, just doing what I can. She did more range of motion things and also told me I was really doing great. I was so excited! Here are my new exercises:

1) Quad Stretch - lay on my stomach and bring my heal to my butt to stretch my quad. This feels SO great.
2) Hamstring Stretch - lay on my back, wrap a sheet or towel around the bottom of my foot and pull leg up to stretch my hamstring...also feels great. But boy are my muscles tight. I wasn't flexible by any stretch of the imagination to begin with...and now I'm even worse!
3) Bridges - lay on back, bring both knees up, feet flat on table, squeeze a pillow or towel between knees and lift butt up, hold for 5 seconds and release.
4) Standing Hip Exercises -
     A) Stand with feet shoulder width apart, bring leg out in front
     B) Stand with feet shoulder width apart, bring leg out to the side
     C) Stand with feet shoulder width apart, bring leg backward
These exercises were way too easy so Jaime gave me stretchy bands to tie around my ankles to give me some resistance, it was much harder. She also gave me the next level up in strength.

All in all it was a great day. I'm so happy to be down to one crutch. She also told me I can start to wean myself off of that at home. If I'm in the kitchen, or doing a little bit of walking in a small area to try walking without it. I really have to focus on not limping which is hard now but will come with time. I need to get the strength in order to commit to walking on this leg again. But it feels great. I'll take muscle pain over hip pain ANY day. I can also use the stationary bike at the gym and do crunches! Time to get ready for a bathing suit.


Lastly, Millis knows I'm ready for my left hip, he said he likes to wait 4-5 months, that way he can see how the first one heals and sees if he needs to tweak anything for the second one. So we're looking at May time frame. I emailed Renee to see if she can pencil me for a date. Can't believe I'm already planning the second one. But it's hard to do these exercises and walk without limping because my left hurts so badly


So I'm kinda bummed that he didn't spend more time with me, but at the same time I didn't have any issues and he knew I was doing fine. I guess that's a good thing.  This was a long blog, but a lot happened today and I got a lot more information. I feel more comfortable about doing things now. It's been 6 weeks and last thing I knew, it was 1/6th weight, don't bend more than 90 degrees...but the more I felt better, the more I wanted to do. After talking with Jaime I don't have many restrictions. I can stretch and bend and walk with more weight and everything pretty much. It's just easier doing things after I know I'm allowed to. Good day good day...but now I have to learn to walk without the limp that I've had my entire life...this could be challenging.


Working tomorrow...will update at 6 weeks post-op.

No comments:

Post a Comment