Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 -- Day "I lost track"....

Sorry sorry sorry to anyone trying to follow me and keep up with my recovery from my PAO. Today is 11 weeks post op! Can you believe it has almost been 3 months since surgery? Let me tell you, right now I can't even believe I had surgery, I feel wonderful. Here's a brief rundown of my last few weeks.

My last update was after my post-op appointment. Since then, we went on a cruise. I took my crutches with me (worst decision of my life) they were SUCH a hassle when I didn't need them. They sat on our cabin closet the entire cruise (thank goodness). I didn't know how I was going to feel so wanted them just in case. After doing a lot of walking I was afraid the next day I would be super sore! But I was not at all. Imagine, waking up and not being stiff and sore. What a great feeling. So I definitely did a TON of walking...sometimes over a while at once. I was tired, but not sore (except of course the left hip). I also took pain meds with me but didn't open the container once. I am so incredibly thankful. We snorkeled in St. Thomas and that was awesome. First time in the water! We were in there for a while and after about 30 minutes or so I was getting tired so I went back to the boat. But that was really great exercise for my PAO hip. After that we walked over a mile to Downtown and I felt so great. I can't even believe all I did this cruise. We also went to a Rainforest in San Juan. We did a small 10 minute hike and it was great. It wasn't a tough hike by any means, but it was walking on uneven ground over tree roots and ditches. I am almost back to normal. So, without going crazy about the cruise, I will say that I am probably 90-95% back to normal...for anyone needing a pep-talk, there it is! I also danced in the club a couple nights and did lots of walking up and down deck stairs since the elevators were slow as molasses AND walked in HEALS! YAYA.

My indian style is about 98% painfree. It's not so much painful, just a little tight when I try to lean forward. My hamstring is getting much better. I haven't been exercising because I was just so exhausted everyday on the cruise I didn't have the energy. Even though I was doing a lot of walking it wasn't working the other hip muscles that my target exercises do. I did them last night for the first time and definitely felt it! The incision sticks out of my bathing suit about an inch on a normal two-piece bottom that sits low on the waist. With a tie-string side the entire scar is seen. I felt bad-ass so it was ok with me. haha. I can run upstairs...I tried to run quick across my lab today before my water overflowed (long story) but that was crappy because my left hip is very very sore. But I can't wait to be able to jog around a little.

In more news, surgery was scheduled for June 20..but I got an email that there was a cancellation June 3 and Doc wants me to get in as soon as possible...so looks like I'm going under the knife in 2 months! I'm so excited. Not nervous at all and I don't think I will be. I'm pretty good with stuff like this and the first was so great. I know the second will most likely not be as smooth, but I can hope for that, right?

It's amazing how far I've come in such a short period of time. My parents were shocked to see my without my crutch! It seems like almost overnight I've transformed. From about...just under 2 months to right now has been the most improvement and it's obvious to see. I can tell just by my flexibility. I did email Jaime because I feel like the front of my hip is real tight and I can't take a full stride, but that will come with time. So all is great. I can basically bring my leg up almost completely to my chest, stand on one leg to take off shoes, shave my legs....basically everything. I recommend this to ANYONE. Maybe it's better for me because of the pain I was in for SO long, so I can really see the difference. Of course I'm not 100% yet....but compared to how I was before Jan 12 it's nice night and day. To be looking forward to the second one says a lot!

If anyone is reading this and debating surgery....go for it! A fellow hipster had said something to me recently about how she is "missing out on life" I don't want her or anyone to feel like that. At first it is very difficult (as you have read in the beginning of this blog). But look at us now. Walking 1-2 miles, going to the gym. I just flew and went on a cruise! Some things may be restricted at first...but we've all come SO far in such a short amount of time. A few months, one year to be back to normal is so worth it if you ask me! :-)

All for now. My incision is looking great. I think the salt water and hot tub really helped to heal me. So those will come shortly.

Now be jealous:


No comments:

Post a Comment