Saturday, November 3, 2012

Day 3 - Convo with my Doc

So today would be the best day to write about my post-op appointment since I haven't yet and today's topic is "post a conversation you had with your doctor".

I had my "one year" followup (which was really just shy of 2 years for the right and just over a year and a half for my left) recently and the appointment went pretty well.  I had gotten an MRI back in August so for this appointment he reviewed that and took new x-rays if course. While I was in the waiting room I began talking to another woman that was 12 years post from her PAO and is having pretty bad pain. She had very bad dysplasia before surgery and began running a lot after surgery. She doesn't suggest the running because she thinks that helped speed up the need for a possible hip replacement soon.

When I finally got to meet with Dr. Millis he asked how I was doing and started moving my legs all around to see my mobility and if anything bothered me. My right hip has been off and on with some uncomfortable pinching feelings in the front of the hip. After he checked out the flexibility and what not he looked a my MRI and X-ray and said things were looking fine. Although, the right one (first surgery) he did not "construct" as much as he had hoped and that could be why it is causing me some discomfort. He wants to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get any worse. He has only re-done 2 other PAO's from his own patients! I had mentioned about my "missing" inner thigh muscle and he looked at it...agreed it's a much weaker leg but kind of continued on and didn't seem to care too much about it...so I guess I'm just going to have to deal with that. Kevin and my Mom had to "tell on me" that I want to do a 5k. Naturally, he didn't necessarily suggest it as if my hips will wear away this will only increase the chances of that happening sooner, although he would never say "do not do it". I just have to be aware of the possible consequences...which I am. But at the same time I would like to accomplish a goal...so maybe one and then call it quits. :-)

So basically, he wants ANOTHER MRI in 6 months and to see me again to keep a close eye on my right hip and make sure it stays put and doesn't get much worse. I begged and pleaded to not have another MRI but it didn't work. :-(

So that was the appointment, maybe get back on track, do a 5k in the Spring then just stay healthy!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you posted this, I was wondering how it went. At least he is keeping a close eye on you. Hopefully things won't get any worse with that leg. I know what you mean about wanting to accomplish a goal, sometimes I feel that way, too, but for me I was never a runner and I can't see myself running for more than 20 minutes at a time...ever. haha. Anyway, it's better to be safe than sorry so don't worry about the extra MRI! I'm having the same issue with my adductor being "missing" but I think it is SLOWLY coming back...very very slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh yeah sorry for that delay, I know you asked how it went but I was "out sick" from work so I didn't want to post too much! I was never a runner either...an athlete, but hated the working out part, mostly because it hurt! So it's more or less me doing it because I can! But things are going smooth. Your muscle is missing too? I didn't know that. I feel like it's attached to the back of my leg / hamstring area because it's SUPER tight back there and not feeling right. But Millis didn't mind all that so...guess I have to move on.

    ReplyDelete