Thursday, August 1, 2013

Thursday, August 1, 2013 - day 37

August first! Not good. Where has the summer gone? 

Well I just had my postop with "the man" and can't say it went great, but it was alright. First, we finally dropped off my dumb wheelchair. . Glad to get rid of that thing. Checked in. Went for X-ray. Back to waiting room for, geez, well over an hour. It was crazy busy in there today. Summertime. Kids on trampolines. Kids in pools. Kids getting hurt. A lot of them. 

So after my long wait I was called in, got height, weight and temp then straight into the exam room. No waiting in the second waiting room. Anyone having Millis will come to learn this real quick! I had a 10am appointment, I learned my lesson. But still was backed up a lot. So my weight was interesting, 131lbs. Lie. I can't put full weight on my leg so how can you get an accurate weight of my fat? Whatever. It'll just look like I plumped up for next time. Next was height. First, my legs are different lengths, how are you going to get an accurate reading?
Next, the little level thingy he didn't even put on the top of my head! So stupid. So my new leg I'm like 5'9" old leg 5'8". Maybe I'll level out. 

Millis comes in, couldn't find my chart, fab. Looked at my X-rays. Did some angles. I was sitting in a chair next to him leaning forward onto my knees and he said, "that probably hurts a little" I said nope. He told me my tendons are like gummy bears. Haha cute. Oh, and did I mention he first pumps now and blows it up. This man blows my mind sometimes. So back to my tendons. People like me make his job harder because normal people have tight tendons which help keep the bones nice and snug for better healing. Well since mine are so stretchy, the bones aren't overly snug and he doesn't use a ton of screws so he relies on that snug fit. What this means is that there's more of a chance for stress fractures in me and the fact I am very mobile makes that chance even greater. So keep on the crutches for another 4 weeks with light weight and hope it heals up. I have to one back in 4 weeks. Bummer. But everything is fine. He's happy with both hips now. My left could actually afford some extra healing which it may do over time. Interesting. I asked him to go over my angles, I don't think we got them quite right but it's something like this:

Angles refer to the socket coverage vs the ball and it's supposed to be 25+. My right was -4 and my left was -20! How was I even able to walk? In the beginning he said it was amazing my ball didn't busy out of my nonexistent socket. He also hates that my pain tolerance is so high. I think how he worded it was "you don't feel pain". I feel it, but I've felt worse so it doesn't phase me much. He loves me. I know it. Anyway! My angles now are something like, right: 30ish and left: 36 or 38. So my hips are pretty secure now. Whether the cartilage grows and stays there is another story. One thing at a time. I also told Millis that I love him and all, but I'm never doing this again!!

Also, I said my right leg is a lot longer which I know happens after a PAO but it does "settle" like a new house after a while but I just forgot how long that really takes. He said 3 months it should be where it's going to stop and should go down 1/2". I hope so because the difference is a good inch right now. I don't want to deal with shoe inserts the rest of my life. 

I requested a cd of my X-rays so I will be posting those when I get home and get on the computer. I'm sure I missed something so I'll be updating later in the weekend. Figures the 3 1/2 hour drive from Boston to NY was perfect time to blog. Home for the weekend to celebrate Dad's 70th!  

Tootles my little blog followers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment