Friday, November 9, 2012

Day 8 and 9 - writing about others and a care package

I'm in Chicago for a wedding so I'm a day behind..today will cover yesterdays "how I choose to write about others" as well as a "care package to fellow patients".

Like I had said in a previous post, I just basically write what I think or feel. I don't typically hold back or filter myself, so talking about others is kind of whatever comes to mind. However, through my surgery and recovery it was mostly nothing but positive talk about other people because of how my family and friends helped me so so much! My family spending time in Boston throughout my hospital stay, my mom coming to stay with me after I got home to help do laundry and make sure I could manage on my own for the first week or so while my hubby went back to work. My friends that came to Boston to visit me, my in-laws for making meals and offering anything that needed to be done, but mostly my husband for (even though he wasn't fully prepared) still stood by my and helped as much as he could...after I had to kick his butt into gear a few times. It was not easy, it was not fun, but it all had to be done. I can only rant about people, strangers, that don't help hold doors or assist in any way when they see someone on crutches! It's frustrating and just rude. I have a new found spot for people (mainly ones on crutches) when I'm out shopping or something. I know how terribly difficult it is, especially if you're by yourself. But my main characters have been NOTHING but supportive throughout my ordeal and I can't begin to thank them enough and therefore I can give them kudos and not have to bash any of them. :-)

Carrying on...what to take to the hospital for a PAO.

I asked a lot of questions to other PAO "survivors" so I was pretty prepared with the goodies I would need for about 7 days in the hospital.
1) iPod - excellent for soothing music as you drift off to see so you don't have to hear the beeps and other crap all night long,
2) Eye mask! This was the best idea I had. Nurses came in every hour to check vitals and what not, I didn't have to barely wake up, kept things nice and dark.
3) Snuggie. I laughed at these things for a couple years until I was in the hospital in the Winter. It was my best friend.
4) Underwear a size or two bigger. The swelling and bandage make you a little bigger and who wants tight underwear?
5) Pillow. To sit on in the wheelchair/car/restaurant. Also another thing I traveled with for weeks after surgery.
6) Sweatpants, slipper socks and oversized clothing. Great for lounging in the hospital bed (sans catheter).
7) Small backpack or bag to attach to the crutch (mostly for once you get home) to carry the necessities.
8) Bluetooth. Also for when you get home...can't crutch and hold a phone at the same time.

ummm. Also, definitely a commode unless you have a real high toilet and a loofa/sponge on a long handle to help wash your leg and foot since bending is difficult at first, and a seat for the shower.

I can't think of any other necessity, those were the main things that really made a difference in getting through the first few days/weeks.

Me and my snuggie, probably just coming down from a fever:


No comments:

Post a Comment