Friday, July 19, 2013

Friday, July 19, 2013 - Day 24

So, seriously...a girl on the PAO Facebook page messaged me and we've been talking back and forth...I think she's a week ahead of me post-op and still on pain meds (besides the point)...so I told her I had 3 PAO's... she goes "did you have two on one side?".

Went into work today to say hi! Yup, sure did. I drove for the first time. Yup, that happened too. I fell asleep on the couch last night after date night (YAY) and slept for 2 hours! Kevin woke me up around 9:45 and I went to bed for real and of course had trouble falling asleep. I slept much better, not great, but better. I was so exhausted. I woke up around 7 when Kev and took a shower before he left for work. I got ready in stages. Showered, came downstairs and sat and had breakfast, then went and did my hair and makeup, then sat, then got dressed and out the door around 10:15.

I drove my car to work, I felt like I forgot how to for a second but I think it was more of me being cautious. I can't hold my leg up/still too easily so I am more careful around turns and what not, kind of without really paying attention. I drive much slower too...mostly because I can't slam on the brakes with my right leg. But that was fine, keep my crutches on the side of me along the door. Takes a while to get in and out but, really, I'm a pro now. Got into work and talked to the tons of people asking me how I'm doing and I look good, and I lost weight, and I look tired. Yeah, could have done without that last one. But I felt good. I was there for about just under 4 hours and didn't feel bad. I stood a lot which I don't mind since I sit a lot at home. I got home around 2 and my eyes felt SO tired they just want to close. I laid on the couch for a while then Kev went fishing and I stayed on the couch where I am now. My eyes feel quite tired, but not bad. I kind of wish I was able to nap so I could stay awake tonight for a while.

Other news...someone else found my PAO blog and emailed me, so yay! Just hoping to spread the word and help others. We need these girls to get diagnosed properly...to stop getting scopes done because they don't work and for these STUPID doctors to get informed. One told this poor 19 year old girl (in the same shape I was in) she's too young and in too good shape to have a PAO. WHAT! This is primarily for younger people that are too young for a THR. This is sick. If you don't know, refer them to someone who does.

End. Rant.

Here I am driving!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, how old were you when you had your first signs of hip dysplasia? And at what age did you end up having the osteotomy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I was born with it and wore the harness when I was 6 months old...so we were all aware of it but never really followed through my childhood. I was an athlete and never had issues until I was in college and must have torn a labrum one night and the next morning couldn't walk. I had pains long before then, but this set it off big time and was downhill from there. SO...I'd say the pain started when I was maybe 18-19 but didn't get bad until 20-21 and got unbearable until my PROPER PAO diagnosis at 26. I had 2 at 26 in 2011 and one now at 28.

    Let me know if you have any questions. You can email me too, please do not hesitate. DRemond1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just posted another comment on your first blog (before I saw this reply from you)... Thanks for your response... I would like to stay in touch with you (I will keep your email address handy)... Thank you so much... My brother is scheduled for an osteotomy at the hospital for special surgery in NYC coming up soon and I'm trying to keep a strong face for him but inside I'm so scared... Thank you so much for all that you share about your experience

    ReplyDelete