Thursday, July 18, 2013

Thursday, July 18, 2013 - Day 23

Here we are again, another week almost gone. Nothing has really changed from yesterday so this should be a fairly short entry.

Just sitting here looking at clearance summer clothes online...how depressing. It seems EVERY summer I pull the short straw. If we're not running to a different state every weekend, I'm stuck inside recuperating from surgery. I get so excited for summer, and the weekend so I can throw on my shorts and tank tops and flip flops and go outside. Somehow I always manage to get screwed...2013 has not failed to follow trend. I won't be off of crutches until almost into September...and then it's almost Fall. UGH. GROSS. Hate. Fall. It's oh so sad. I want to enjoy my weekends without walking 20 feet and getting winded, or dropping everything, or asking for help, or sit in a chair and not have to move my position every 2 minutes. This is so annoying. I wanted to get it over with ASAP...but it doesn't make things any easier that's for sure. Plus, if I wanted to hit my deductible all this year I had to plan that the 5-6 month screw removal would be in nov/dec.

Into other news...sleeping has SUCKED the last...ehh, week? Since I stopped taking the Oxy and having it knock me out for 12 hours I just cannot sleep. I don't even care if I roll over in my sleep, I just want to stay asleep for longer than 1-2 hours at a time. Then before I know it, Kev's alarm is going off, he's out of the house and now I'm wide awake at 7:30am...I just want to sleeeeep. Another couple of weeks and it should be better...that and the fact once I start working I have a feeling I am going to get ExxxxxHauuusssttteddd rather quickly so if I'm not sleeping for longer spurts it'll be a shock.

Hip news...let's see. I used the big girl potty today. Yup. I was so hot and pretty lazy so I decided to use the toilet in our downstairs bathroom even though my commode is upstairs. It felt fine. My leg was not >90 degrees and it didn't hurt at all, I had no problem standing...so that's progress. Plus that means using the bathroom at work shouldn't be too difficult. The worst part is doors. Doors that close automatically. Do you know how difficult it is to fling the door open, grab your crutch quickly and stomp it in front of the door to stop it so you can walk in...only for it, most likely, to get stuck. God next week is going to stink for reelz.

Here's a weird finding...my hip area (near the incision) is SO dry. I'm sure mostly from the bandage ripping most of my skin off...but not only that, but my entire left side of my body is dry and pealing. From my shin to my shoulder. So weird. Not sure the reasoning behind that. So I lathered up in lotion today. Also, took a shower and shaved my legs...I stood for probably, hmm..90% of my shower? Just had to sit to shave and that was it. Mini triumphs. But I feel tired now. My eyes just want to close. Not sure why, I haven't done anything today.

I'm thinking of popping into work tomorrow. It's the first of our monthly BBQ's and also my coworkers last day...so I kind of want to see her and also check in to see the status of things and make sure when I come in on Monday there's no guessing what's going on. Need to make this a smooth transition. Which means I'm going to be driving myself as well. Kev and I are going out to dinner tonight so my guess is I'll drive home or something so I can just be sure it's not a problem.

This is turning into more of a diary than hip blog. Sorry. I'll focus more on my hip when something changes. Right now it's just there. Exercises are getting better. Kevin only holds my heal and I can lift it myself after that. If I try to lift by myself it doesn't budge at all, but just that tiny amount of help I can do it myself. I also did the standing exercises yesterday. Stood on one crutch and moved my leg forward 5x, to the side 5x and back 5x. I did these last time and then progressed to a stretchy band around my ankles to add resistance. But for now we just want a fluid motion. I don't have to move it far, I just have to move it smoothly. I can roll out of bed really quickly, pull my leg up myself, sit in the chair with my knees up and leg bent towards the outside without a problem. I have an issue going in towards my other leg though and I think the adductors contribute there.

Anyway, I think the pool has helped my incision. As gross as the water has looked this week - think oil film of sunblock - the chlorine has healed me up pretty nicely. I remember as a kid, after I got out of the pool all my cuts and scrapes were almost healed. Can't wait for Tuesday to post our 4 week, yup, ya heard, my 1 month pictures!

happy thursday everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment