Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Exercise Post

So, here are my exercises...as promised!

First, we start out with the resistance bands. This is the lightest one and too easy for me, but for sake of argument I used it. For anyone that is just starting round two exercises (like the 4-6 week time frame), start out without a band and once that becomes easy, increase resistance. You're looking for a fluid motion. Height and speed are not important here. Just get the movement down. 

5x

5x

5x

Try to stand upright so your hip is doing the movement and not your back. Lifting backward is the hardest. Do 5 reps in each direct and do this rotation twice. 

Next, lay on you back with knees bent and a towel between your knees. 


Lift and tighten your bum while squeezing the towel with your knees. It is more difficult than you think! Hold for 5 seconds and release. Do 3 sets of 5. Increase as needed. I alternate these bridges with the next exercises. 

This last exercise is more of a stretch. Ok, yea, it's completely a stretch. But do it. You'll be glad you did. 


Use that same towel under your PAO leg foot and using your arms to help guide, lift as high as possible and hold for 5-10 seconds. More if you can. Release the leg and do it again. Then switch sides. I alternate bridges with stretches. 

You can also sit on the edge of your bed and bring your PAO leg up to the edge and lay it out straight. This helps stretch the hammies too. Something else I did last time but not this time, a quad stretch. You have to be careful though as that muscle has been messed with. Lay on your stomach and grab your ankle and bring the heel to your butt. Go gentle as to not affect the bone or any unhealed muscle. 

These should be done twice a day, once in the AM and once in the PM. 

Disclaimer: Remember, I am not a doctor nor am I a Physical Therapist. I'm simply a post (3) PAO patient having gone through this and having met with PT at my early appointments. These are pretty basic and not geared towards me or any problems specific to me. They are meant to show you what I do and to give some guidance if you need more of a challenge. 

Another good thing is going in the pool. I'm lucky enough to live in a complex with a pool so at the 3ish week time frame you bet I was in that baby. 100 degrees, recuperating AND getting my workout in (while tanning), ok! So the pool is allowed after 2 weeks or after the incision is completely healed so no bacteria can creep in. Also, you want water up to your chest as to give your hip relief from weight. The farther along, the more shallow you can go. Mostly just walk around and loosen the joint. It feels so amazing to walk without help! I also do the first three exercises while holding the side of the pool. It's a great resource. 

Hope you enjoyed my 7 week workout. 

No comments:

Post a Comment